Your Stupid Minds returns to the well of goofy comic book movies; this time, it's that movie that you never think about but remember being sort of good: Batman Returns! It's the Ghostbusters 2 of a new generation! It's also the return of academy award favorite Michael Keaton to the podcast. Was his performance in Birdman better than Jack Frost? You tell us!
Join Chris, Nick, and returning guest Vincent Goodwin as we address the wall-to-wall strange choices that helped propel Batman Returns to the #3 spot of the 1992 box office (oh wait, it completely coasted on the success of Batman, the #1 film of 1989)! Together, we answer the tough questions like: what happens in this movie? Who is the main character? Why does the Penguin act the way he does? What is Penguin's plan? What is Catwoman's plan? How many press conferences can one mayor throw in the same plaza? Why isn't Gotham constantly dealing with recall elections?
- Batman appears, briefly, thirteen minutes into this movie, only to disappear for another twenty minutes.
- The entire film is Tim Burton at his Tim Burton-iest. The entire film takes place in the lead-up to Christmas, Burton veterans Paul Reubens, Diane Salinger, and Michael Keaton appear in cameos, Danny Elfman provides the score, and a dead man is lowered into a body of water by his weird-ass friends. The only things missing are Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter.
- Elements of the Penguin's (stupid) design were incorporated into Batman: the Animated Series, and as a result, he was one of the lamer villains on the show.
- Vince somehow finds the time to be in several other podcasts, including: All My Friends Are Right Here, a roundtable pop culture debate show, and Tuesday Morning Pod, an SNL review podcast. Here's his blog.
- Also, if you're somehow not sick of Chris talking about movies, he's a special guest on Cinema Excelsior, a podcast dedicated to chronologically reviewing every Marvel movie (although they skipped Generation X).